If you’ve been trying to curb your grains or have gone completely grain-free, these paleo Cassava Crackers are the easy DIY crunchy goodies you’re looking for. The final result is similar to crisp and tasty pita chips that’ll go perfectly with all your favorite dips. I made this batch with oregano and garlic, but you can flavor them with any spice or herb you like.
WHY GRAIN-FREE PALEO CRACKERS?
I don’t know about you, but I’m a grain lover. Unfortunately, due to my autoimmune diseases, I have tried to limit their overall consumption. When I follow a strict AIP Paleo diet, I eliminate them all completely. It’s painful but occasionally necessary because grains can trigger my autoimmune system causing all kinds of unwanted symptoms (for more on the subject, read this post). That’s why I learned how to replace some of my favorite grain goodies with grain-free recipes like these Cassava crackers. However, regardless of specific conditions, curbing the consumption of refined grains is generally a good idea for anybody. Here’s why:
- Some grains contain gluten, to which many food lovers happen to be sensitive
- All grains are high in carbs, which promote weight gain and are linked to insulin resistance
- All grains contain antinutrients, like Phytic Acid and Lectins. Luckily, they can be degraded through processes like fermenting, sprouting, soaking, or pressure cooking. However, they are present.
YOUR SHOPPING LIST FOR CASSAVA CRACKERS
Having cleared up the why, let’s dive into the how-to. This recipe is super simple with just 4 main ingredients plus your favorite spices & herbs for flavor.
- Cassava Flour
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Himalayan Salt
For flavor I added 2 AIP compliant ingredients for my AIP peeps, but feel free to substitute whatever you like:
- Garlic Powder
- Dry Oregano
HOW TO MAKE CASSAVA CRACKERS
When I said it was simple, I meant it. First of all, preheat your oven to 300 F. Then pour all your dry ingredients into a bowl. Separately, mix the oil and water in a cup (it sounds like a paradox, I know 😂) and slowly add the liquid to the dry ingredients, stirring all the way with a whisk or spatula. As the mix gets stiffer, use your hands to knead the dough into a ball.
On a sheet of parchment paper, flatten the ball of dough trying to give it a rectangular shape with your fingers.
Cover the dough with another sheet of parchment paper and grab your rolling pin. Go over it vertically and horizontally several times, trying to make it as thin and rectangular as you can.
TIP: The thinner the dough is, the crunchier and less chewy your crackers will be. So, keep rolling like it’s the latest work-out rage to tone up those arms in time for tank-top season!
Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into small squares. I like mine just a little smaller than the average pita chip to avoid double-dipping in my guacamole or hummus. It’s just a little pet-peeve of mine, but feel free to make yours a bit larger if you like.
Now your dough is ready for the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
TIP: Take them out of the oven and separate them all, scattering them around the pan. Then put them back into the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes. This will ensure they get all evenly crunchy and super crisp. Yum!
Remove them from the oven and let them cool off. Now you can serve your super crunchy, tasty Cassava crackers with your favorite dip. I made this no-tahini hummus with rosemary, lemon and toasted pine nuts (click for recipe), but you can make an AIP compliant guacamole or other types of hummus you like.
You know what I like to say: if one picture is worth a thousand words, one video is worth a thousand pictures. Look how easy it is to make your own Cassava flour crackers.
- 2 cups Cassava Flour
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Filtered Water
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tsp Dry Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Mix wet ingredients in a cup (water and oil)
- Pour liquid mix slowly into bowl with dry ingredients while whisking with a spatula
- Keep mixing until the dough is stiff enough to knead with your hands
- Knead dough into a ball
- On a sheet of parchment paper, flatten the ball of dough trying to give it a rectangular shape with your fingers
- Cover the dough with another sheet of parchment paper and grab your rolling pin. Go over it vertically and horizontally several times, trying to make it as thin and rectangular as you can
- Cut the dough into small squares with a sharp knife or pizza cutter
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Remove from oven. Separate and scatter the crackers all over the pan
- Bake for 15 more minutes. This will ensure the crackers are evenly and thoroughly crisp
- Remove from the oven let cool off
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite dip!
Disclaimer: Absolutely Flavorful is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. Should you click and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. Thank you for your support, and enjoy the experience!