Spring is in full bloom! The sun is shining, birds are chirping, and our bodies are coming out of hibernation just as mama nature dictates. I don’t know about you, but I’m craving something fresh, healthy, and colorful. Something sweet enough to satisfy the palate, and nutrient-dense enough to satisfy the body. Something like a Berry Macedonia.
NO-BAKING FLOUR-LESS DAIRY-FREE DESSERT
As I was saying, the sun is shining, temperatures are rising, here in Miami the beach is calling… I don’t feel like spending time with a hot oven or anything that’ll take more than a few prep minutes to make. That is why I love Italian Macedonia. I have been eating versions of this simple, healthy dessert since I was able to chew. It reminds me of Mediterranean summers spent on the beach, school out and forgotten, feasting on chilled seasonal goodies to cool off and nourish our bodies.
WHAT GOES INTO A MACEDONIA?
It doesn’t get better than this easy and refreshing dessert. This version has only 4 ingredients, 3 of which are fresh fruits, and prep time is under 10 minutes. In this version, I’m using strawberries and blueberries. But you could add and/or substitute raspberries, blackberries, kiwis, pineapple, or any other fruit you crave. I’m craving this powerful duo today, packed with vitamins and antioxidants. The dressing is made with freshly squeezed lemon juice and the sweetener of your choice. I like to use honey, but today I’m making this Macedonia for my Roman dinner guests, and their son is partial to old fashioned granulated sugar.
I keep telling you how simple and easy it is, blah, blah, blah… but let me show you. As they say, talk is cheap 😉
And here’s the full recipe for you. I hope you’ll love it as much as I do and make it your favorite summer dessert.
- 1 pound Strawberries
- 3/4 pounds Blueberries
- 2 tbsp Honey You can substitute sugar or your favorite sweetener
- 4 tbsp Lemon Juice Freshly squeezed juice and adjust according to your taste
- Wash the strawberries and blueberries and pat them dry.
- Remove the stems from the strawberries and chop them in quarters.
- In a large bowl, add the honey or sweetener of your choice.
- Add the lemon juice and melt the honey completely.
- Add the strawberries and blueberries and toss well until everything is coated with honey and lemon.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Serve the Macedonia in individual cups. Garnish with lemon wheels, lemon wedges, or fresh mint leaves.