I don’t know about you, but with all the crazy stuff going on in the world right now, I’m feeling a bit rundown and in need of a powerful, energizing pick-me-up. Meet my Maca Balls! They are so delicious, taste like a decadent chocolate dessert, and are so nutritious, your whole body will thank you.
BENEFITS OF MACA
Maca might look like some simple powder, but you can’t spell powder without POWER, am I right? This powder comes from an ancient Peruvian root and is quite the powerhouse with a long list of benefits, which include:
- High in Vitamin C (1 oz. contains 133% RDA) and minerals (copper, iron, potassium)
- Increases libido in men and women
- Relieves menopause symptoms and helps with PMS
- Contains flavonoids, which help reduce anxiety and improve mood
- Improves energy and enhances performance
That’s not even all, but I know I had you at LIBIDO, so I’ll stop right here.
INGREDIENTS FOR MY MACA BALLS
Maca balls are popular energy bites among those who know. However, everybody makes them slightly different. I like mine rich, spicy, buttery, and nutty. Every ingredient I use in this recipe has been carefully chosen for flavor and specific health benefits. In particular, Brazil nuts, which are rich in Selenium (just 2 of them a day provide the full RDA). I have acute Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (for more on my autoimmune story, click here), and selenium is very helpful for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland (especially the conversion of the hormone T4 into T3). Additionally, it may reduce Thyroid Antibodies by 40%! If you are interested in learning more, I recommend this article by Dr. Isabella Wentz, “Selenium: The Nutrient That Can Reduce Thyroid Antibodies by 40%”.
As you can see, they are all natural and healthy ingredients:
- Maca Powder (gelatinized, which is easier to digest than raw)
- Medjool Dates
- Brazil Nuts
- Cacao Powder (unsweetened)
- Vanilla Extract
- Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
Making these Maca Balls is super easy. No cooking involved. All you need is a Food Processor. If you don’t have one, I highly recommend getting it because it’s the gateway to easy, healthy recipes all year round. I’ve been using (and abusing) this particular food processor for a couple of decades now, and I love it!
Enough with the chit-chat, time to show you how easy this recipe truly is!
GUILT-FREE DAILY PLEASURE
Now that you know these balls are actually good and good-for-you, feel free to indulge and pop one a day or whenever an intense craving for something sweet and decadent strikes. It will give you a shot of energy and improve your mood. I love them, and so does my husband, so we like to keep them in the fridge inside an air-tight container. They stay fresh and buttery for up to 5 days (you could probably keep them a little longer, but mine have never lasted for a whole week).
Get the full recipe below for my original version, or feel free to customize them to your own taste if you wish.
- 9 Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup Pecans
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maca powder
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp shredded coconut for rolling
- Remove the pits from dates and soak them in hot water for 5 minutes. When the dates are softened, drain them and place in a food processor. Reserve the water for later
- Add all the other ingredients to the food processor and pulse until mixture begins to thicken and stick together
- Check texture to make sure it’s sticky enough to roll the balls. If it’s too thick or dry, add some of the reserved water (I added 4 tbsp of the water for the desired consistency)
- With an ice cream scooper or spoon, scoop the mixture and roll into small balls. Roll each ball in the shredded coconut and fully coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving
- Store in the fridge inside an airtight container for up to 5 days
Disclaimer: Absolutely Flavorful is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. Should you click and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. Thank you for your support, and enjoy the experience!
[…] you don’t know, I’m a huge fan of Maca and its many benefits (see my yummy recipe for Maca Balls for more […]