Summer is not over yet. Ice cream season is still going strong, especially here in Miami where every season is ice cream season. So, I made this ridiculously easy & delicious batch of Dairy-free Matcha Ice Cream. Look at this healthy bomb of green yummy goodness and tell me you don’t want to lick it. And
Besides tasting great in latte and ice cream recipes, Matcha has also fantastic benefits. I hate empty calories in my food, so this little detail about this powerful powder makes me appreciate it a lot more.
TOP 5 BENEFITS OF MATCHA POWDER:
- Packed with antioxidants, particularly catechins, which are compounds found in tea. Matcha has by far the highest content of catechins than any other type of green tea!
- Protects kidneys and liver. It is also one of the most effective detoxing teas.
- Reduces LDL cholesterol levels (“bad” cholesterol), thus promoting heart health.
- Boosts energy and brain function. Matcha contains higher levels of caffeine than regular green tea and also L-theanine. The latter is a compound that promotes alertness and decreases stress levels.
- Promotes weight loss. Possibly the most common reason why Matcha has become so popular in the west in recent years. How does it do that? By increasing our body’s fat-burning ability. Burn, baby, burn!
NO MACHINE MATCHA ICE CREAM
I’ll admit it: I’m really picky when it comes to ice cream. Maybe it’s because I grew up in Italy, feasting on the best pistachio gelato in the world. Or maybe it’s because I can’t stand overly sweet, processed commercial
crap stuff. Or maybe it’s because I hate eating empty calories and always include good nutritional value even in my most sinful treats. Whatever the reason, I rarely eat store-bought ice cream in the US. So, when I found this big bag of pure unsweetened Matcha Green Tea Powder on our recent trip to Costco, I thought hmmm… I should make some paleo ice cream with that. It was just a spur-of-the-moment craving because I love the intense, nutty flavor of good artisanal Matcha Ice Cream. But then, once we got home I realized that I haven’t owned an ice cream maker since 2002. So… I used my Vitamix! And OMG, it came out perrrfect!
HOW TO MAKE DAIRY-FREE MATCHA ICE CREAM
So, let me repeat that: you don’t need an ice cream maker to make this ice cream. When I realized I didn’t own a machine anymore, I got the idea of making the base with coconut cream, coconut oil, and soaked cashews. I used those ingredients in the filling of my Paleo Lime Cheesecake and remembered how thick and creamy that dessert came out. I figured they would do the trick and deliver a proper ice-creamy texture in this recipe, and they totally did! The sophisticated technique you’ll need to master to get the best results here is what I call DUMP & BLEND. So, get your blender and start dumping. Here are your ingredients in no particular order:
- Matcha Powder (pure and unsweetened)
- 100% Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Coconut Cream (Buy canned full-fat milk to make the cream)
- Raw Cashews (soaked)
- Coconut Oil
- Raw Hazelnuts & Pistachios (lightly toasted)
Once you’re done dumping all the ingredients (except the nuts) inside your blender, blend on high until smooth. Stop and taste here and there; you might need to make it sweeter or blend longer for a smoother texture. Once it’s blended to perfection, pour the mix into a loaf pan and freeze for at least 4 hours.
Take the ice cream out of the freezer at least 15 minutes before serving. The coconut cream and oil will solidify completely at freezing temperatures, so it’ll need to spend some time on the kitchen counter to become creamy. Scoop into bowls and top with toasted nuts. Lick, slurp, repeat.
You know what I always say: if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a thousand pictures. Watch how simple it is to make your own Dairy-free Matcha Ice Cream.
A MATCHA MADE IN HEAVEN
One last observation before leaving you with the full printable recipe below. I strongly recommend topping this ice cream with toasted pistachios and hazelnuts. It’s a Matcha made in heaven (lame pun, I know, but hey… ). The flavor enhances the nutty edge in the Matcha, plus it just pairs beautifully with the cashews and coconut of the base. Don’t skip it!
Dairy-free Matcha Ice Cream
- 2 tbsp Matcha powder pure and unsweetened
- 1/3 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1 cup cashews soaked for 6 hours or longer
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk refrigerated and cream only
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- hazelnuts & pistachios toasted for topping (as needed)
- Soak cashews for 6 hours or longer
- Refrigerate coconut milk cans to separate the cream from the liquid (ideally overnight)
- Scoop out the cream from the coconut milk cans and save the liquid for your next smoothie
- Add all ingredients except the toasted nuts to your blender
- Blend on high until perfectly smooth
- Pour mix into a loaf pan
- Freeze for at least 4 hours
- Remove ice cream from freezer at least 15 minutes before serving
- Serve into individual bowls and sprinkle with the toasted nuts
Disclaimer: Absolutely Flavorful is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. Should you click and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. Thank you for your support, and enjoy the experience!
My Family Loved it. I am definitely sharing Guys, Thanks For sharing this Great Recipe. this recipe and this website with my friend. Hope they also love it. Thank you again for sharing such a great recipe.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m super happy you and your family like this yummy, healthy recipe.
And thank you so much for sharing!! 😊