If you have an Instant Pot and love pork as much as I do, this post is for you. This is an easy and fast recipe that will save you a lot of time and provide very tasty meals. Learn how to make Shredded Pork in the Instant Pot with foolproof and juicy results every single time.
HOW TO MAKE SHREDDED PORK IN THE INSTANT POT
Making shredded pork in the instant pot is very easy, as it is a set-and-forget recipe. Most importantly, you need to start with the right cut of pork. Pork shoulder, a.k.a. Boston Butt, is the perfect choice because it’s very meaty, juicy, and with the right amount of fat. I usually get a 4-5 lb. shoulder, cut it into 4 large chunks, which I sear in two batches inside the Instant Pot using the sautée setting. Mine is a 6-quart Instant Pot, but if you have a larger one maybe you’ll be able to sear all 4 chunks at once.
Besides the pork, you need cooking oil (I like Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil), Bone Broth or stock, and a Dry Rub. The rub you can easily make yourself, or buy it at the store, like this paleo barbecue rub. I always make my own and keep a few spices stocked in my pantry for recipes like this one.
Here is the full list of ingredients:
- Boneless Pork Shoulder (about 4 lbs.)
- Garlic Powder
- Himalayan Salt
- Black Pepper
- Bay Leaf
- Stock or Bone Broth
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
Once the pork is seared on all sides, it’s time to cook it at high pressure for 1 hour, then natural release for 10-15 minutes. I use a lot of shredded pork and chicken in my recipes, so I have bought these awesome meat shredders. I highly recommend them; they make pulling and shredding meat a breeze. Plus, they would also make a great inexpensive gift for any meat lover.
SHREDDED PORK, PULLED PORK, OR CARNITAS
However you call it, this pork is a great way to add substance and flavor to tacos (see my full recipe for Tacos with Carnitas), sandwiches, or salads… It is so versatile! You can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge for at least 5 days, so you can have it handy to create last-minute yummy meals throughout the week. It doesn’t need to be served hot, so that is another plus for those meals on-the-go, work lunches, picnics… What’s not to love?!
Here is a short video to show you how really easy it is to make this juicy, super tasty pulled pork in your instant pot.
And below you have the full printable recipe. Enjoy!
INSTANT POT SHREDDED PORK
- 4 lbs pork shoulder pork butt or Boston butt, boneless
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp cumin leave out for AIP
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika leave out for AIP
- ½ tsp black pepper leave out for AIP
- 1½ tbsp olive oil extra virgin or avocado oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken stock or bone broth
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together to make a dry rub
- Cut pork shoulder into 4 big chunks and add them to the bowl. Coat them well with the dry rub
- Set the Instant Pot to “sauté” and add the extra virgin olive oil when it’s warm enough
- Sear the Pork chunks, browning them on all sides. I needed to split them into 2 batches to have enough room in the IP (mine is a 6 qts. Duo)
- Remove pork from the IP and add the stock with the bay leaf to deglaze the pot. Make sure you scrape the bottom really well
- Return the pork to the IP, place the lid on top, close it firmly, and set the IP to “Pressure Cooking” at “High Pressure” for 1 hour
- Let the steam out for 10 minutes through “Natural Release”. Now you can remove the pork chunks from the IP and shred the meat with 2 forks or with Bear Paws as I do, which makes the job of shredding and pulling quick and easy. Set aside.
Disclaimer: Absolutely Flavorful is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. Should you click and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. Thank you for your support, and enjoy the experience!
Leave a Reply