I have a confession for you: in the mayo vs. mustard debate, I always opt for mustard. But the reason for that is that I can’t stand store-bought mayo. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever bought a jar of it in my life. On the other hand, when the good homemade kind is available, I’m all over it like white on rice. And since I love spicy rich flavors, my Wasabi Mayonnaise has become a top condiment in my kitchen.
YOUR SHOPPING LIST FOR WASABI MAYO
There’s no real secret to good homemade mayo, just fresh, high-quality ingredients. Use organic free-range eggs, pure avocado oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and original Dijon mustard. If you follow the basic steps, you will have a tasty, rich, velvety mayonnaise, and will never be able to appreciate the store-bought kind again. Sorry to ruin that for you! Here are my ingredients:
- Eggs (only yolks)
- Avocado Oil
- Dijon Mustard
- Lemon Juice
- Wasabi Paste
- Himalayan Salt
HOW TO MAKE WASABI MAYONNAISE
The process to make this tasty mayonnaise is so easy and fast! A few tips for a perfect mayo:
- Make sure to use an immersion or stick blender along with the narrow cup it came with when you bought it. Using that type of cup and not a bowl will guarantee foolproof results
- Place the egg yolks, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and water at the bottom of the cup
- Wait 30 seconds before pouring the avocado oil on top, as the ingredients need to settle
- Immerse the blender all the way to the bottom and start blending without moving it around
- After a few seconds, the mayo will start emulsifying and appearing creamy. Now gently move the stick around and up and down. A few seconds later, you are done!
- Now you can fold in the pinch of salt and the Wasabi paste. Please note: if you are using Wasabi powder follow the directions on the package to make it into a paste. It usually takes a little bit of water and a handful of seconds
HOW TO USE WASABI MAYONNAISE
You can use this spicy mayo in anything you like, of course, but I highly recommend it with fish and seafood, like crab meat, lobster, and shrimp. One of my favorite recipes where this mayo totally shines is my version of Deviled Eggs with Shrimp. I like to make these beauties for brunch and happy hour. The wasabi mayo gives the eggs a chic kick, as I like to say.
Talk is cheap. So, watch this short clip to see how quickly and easily you can make your own high-quality mayo at home, with or without wasabi. You’ll never buy another jar again, I promise!
And that is it! So easy, right? Here is the full printable recipe for you. I hope you’ll give this much healthier and 100% paleo recipe a try.
- 2 egg yolks Just 1 if large
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1 pinch Himalayan salt to taste
- ¼ tsp wasabi paste
- Place egg yolk, water, lemon juice, and mustard in an immersion blender cup
- Wait half a minute or so before adding the avocado oil on top. The ingredients need to settle first
- Place the immersion blender all the way to the bottom. Hold the cup and start blending without moving the stick around
- Once you see the mayonnaise beginning to emulsify, with all the ingredients coming together nice and creamy, slowly move the blender around and up & down the cup
- Within a minute or so, the mayonnaise will be ready
- Fold in the wasabi paste. Please note: if using wasabi powder, follow the instructions on the package to make it into a paste. It usually takes a little water and just a few seconds
Disclaimer: Absolutely Flavorful is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. Should you click and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. Thank you for your support, and enjoy the experience!
Leave a Reply