Today I’m sharing my latest favorite bread recipe. It’s gluten-free and so packed with superfoods it should be wearing a cape. Ladies and gents, meet my SUPER BREAD!
WHAT MAKES THIS BREAD “SUPER”
Almost every single ingredient in this loaf of bread is a superfood. I’ve been tweaking this recipe over time until I achieved a nice rise, a good crust, and enough elasticity to make me forget that there is no gluten in it (sigh). Most importantly, I wanted a nutrient-dense bread that wouldn’t make me feel guilty. My recipes are all about real ingredients and high nutritional value; this bread loaf lives up to my demands. My motto is “Make every calorie count!”
SUPERFOODS IN SUPER BREAD
Buckwheat Flour: Buckwheat is a pseudograin (like quinoa) with a low glycemic index, high in fiber, and naturally gluten-free. Richer in protein and minerals than common cereals, it promotes heart health and helps with blood sugar control.
Coconut Flour: A gluten-free, low-carb fiber with a low glycemic index. It boosts metabolism, may lower bad cholesterol while maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
Psyllium Husk Powder: Psyllium is a powerful prebiotic the good bacteria in your GI tract will love. It promotes digestive health, regular bowel movements, and heart health.
Chia Seeds: Chia seeds have been recognized as one of the best allies for weight loss. They are high in nutritional value and low in calories. I love using these healthy nuggets whenever possible (see my delicious Chia Pudding recipe).
Golden Flaxseed: A great source of many nutrients, especially omega-3 fats, lignans, and fiber. If you don’t eat fish, flaxseed is your best source for alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). ALA prevents cholesterol from being deposited in the blood vessels of the heart, reducing inflammation in the arteries. According to Healthline, these seeds contain up to 800 times more lignans than any other plant food. Lignans are polyphenols with antioxidant and estrogen properties that reduce cancer risk. The high fiber content promotes digestive health and weight loss. Seriously healthy stuff! Just make sure you always grind flaxseed before consumption, so it becomes more bioavailable and digestible.
Maca Powder: One of my favorite ingredients (check out my Maca Balls recipe). High in vitamin C and flavonoids, it promotes libido in men and women and increases energy. It also helps with PMS symptoms.
Other ingredients in this recipe include Fennel Seeds, Avocado Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Raw Coconut Sugar (as a yeast activator), which are also very nutritious and gut-friendly.
LET’S MAKE SUPER BREAD
This is a very easy recipe. It’s not sourdough, so you don’t need to make your own “mother” or anything fancy like that; the rapid yeast from your supermarket will do just fine. You don’t need a bread machine; just a loaf pan and your regular oven. Simply follow my recipe below (scroll to the bottom) and watch this short video:
A COUPLE OF TIPS
Tip #1: use one paper clip on each long side of the loaf pan to make the parchment paper stay in place (see photo below). As you push in the dough, the paper tends to slip and slide. Just remember to remove the paper clips before baking!
Tip #2: Don’t let the dough rise too long, or it will collapse in the oven during baking. My sweet spot is 1 hour and 10 minutes, but it’s good to follow a visual reference. I let it rise until it almost doubles in volume, and it barely bulges beyond the rim of the loaf pan (mine is 8.5 x 4.5 like this loaf pan). See the images below for a before & after:
If you like crusty rustic bread, as I do, toast the slices to medium-dark and you will feel like you’re eating the real thing with gluten and everything. I highly recommend it! I have another bread recipe on this blog, which is entirely grain-free and 100% paleo (Paleo Bread Loaf), but that bread has almond flour and eggs. That combination makes it a perfect breakfast bread, but the flavor and consistency do not compare to crusty rustic bread.
Here is the full printable recipe. Let me know if you try it!
GLUTEN-FREE SUPER BREAD
- 1½ cups buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup psyllium husk powder
- 2 tbsp flaxseed ground
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- ½ tbsp fennel seeds whole
- 1 tsp Hymalaian salt
- 11 oz water lukewarm
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1¼ tbsp coconut sugar
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 chia eggs
- First, add yeast and sugar to the 11 oz. of lukewarm water. Mix well and leave for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Next, make the chia eggs by mixing 2 tbsp chia seeds and 6 tbsp of water in a cup. Stir well. Let sit for 5 minutes until it gels.
- Add the avocado oil to the chia eggs and whisk.
- In a bowl, add all the flours, psyllium, flaxseed and salt. Whisk together until all the dry ingredients are mixed.
- Add the chia eggs with avocado oil to the bowl of flour and stir well. Then, mix in the apple cider vinegar and the yeast mix. Add more water as needed (for me, it's approximately ½ cup, maybe ⅔). Make sure to add water very slowly, so you don't end up with a runny batter. Combine well with a large spoon. Then switch to kneading by hand until there are no dry ingredients left in the bowl, and the dough is a nice elastic ball.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper (I used an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches pan)
- Place the dough into the loaf pan evenly, shaping it with your fingers. Then cover it with a large food storage bag or even a plastic bag, if you have any. Make sure you don't seal it, just leave it loose around the pan. Place it in your oven (make sure the oven is turned off), close the oven door, and allow the dough to rise for a little over 1 hour. My sweet spot is 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen and almost doubled in size, remove it from the oven.
- Preheat the oven at 430F degrees (ideal temperature if you don’t have a convection oven) and bake for 35 minutes until there is a firm crust on the outside.
- Take it out of the oven and take the loaf out of the pan. Place it on a cooling rack for 30 minutes before digging in. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Absolutely Flavorful is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. Should you click and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. Thank you for your support, and enjoy the experience!